Wednesday, March 11, 2009

5368--Inst. Design Assignment 3

The article "Instructional Design in Elearning" by George Siemens (2002) found at http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/InstructionalDesign.htm stimulated a new way of thinking about e-learning. I have compared the pros and cons of online courses with traditional courses in 5301, but this article presented new information about e-learning. I knew that all instructors should follow models for constructing learning and all learning should be student centered, but I didn’t know how involved the instructional design process has to be for e-learning. The designer “must anticipate and meet potential concerns/ambiguities” that the traditional teacher would address in the classroom. I know I have a hard time preparing for these concerns in my classroom, must less in e-learning. The designer truly has to know pedagogy and technology in order to make the learning student-centered and meaningful. Instructional design seems to be the medium in which to implement research-based strategies that work. I am looking forward to our final project in this class after reading this article. I love a good challenge.
In the article “Methodologies and Theories” found at http://www.elearnspace.org/doing/methodologiestheories.htm presents a systematic approach to theory and e-learning. This article presented numerous resources helpful to planning and lesson design applicable to any learning situation. A solid understanding of pedagogy and learning theory will facilitate building the link between learning and technology. I am a big fan of understanding each student’s learning style and this article presented a wealth of resources that address the needs of diverse learners as it applies to e-learning. I find differentiating instruction one of the most prominent issues in my class. There were several sources for differentiating for e-learners. I also found the information of adult learning theory informative since the majority of e-learners are adults. E-learning seems to have so many facets that need to be considered in instructional design.

Siemens, G. (2002, September 30). Instructional Design in Elearning. Retrieved March 11, 2009, from elearnspace.org: http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/InstructionalDesign.htm

Methodologies and Theories. (n.d.). Retrieved March 11, 2009, from elearnspace.org: http://www.elearnspace.org/doing/methodologiestheories.htm

No comments: